Don’t Let the Instagram Algorithm Stress You Out
Have you noticed your likes and engagement decrease recently? Well, you are not alone. You are being affected by the Instagram algorithm. I’ll tell you what it is and how to use it to work in your favor so you can get your brand in front of your target audience.
Last March Instagram introduced a concept “see the moments you care about first”. This idea completely changed how we use Instagram. Say goodbye to chronological order and hello to a feed of delayed posts. The idea stems from an estimated 70% of people miss content on their feed on average.
Bufferapp suggests 7 key factors determine the Instagram algorithm such as:
- Engagement: the popularity of the post
- Relevancy: topics related to the content
- Relationships: accounts you interact with
- Timeliness: how recent the post is
- Profile Searches: accounts you search for frequently
- Direct Shares: how often the posts are shared
- Time Spent: duration spent viewing post
Implement these actionable strategies to help you conquer the algorithm.
1. Create better high quality content. With an engagement first mindset, you should only be posting the best photos and/or videos that will resonate with your target audience. Think, what will your ideal follower want to see on their feed?
Advanced Tip: Top brands post at least 5 times per week. You should aim for this goal too. 60% of these brands use a consistent filter. Choose 1 -3 of your favorite filters and stick to it. This will help you have a consistent look and feel.
2. Use hashtags. They make it easier for people to discover you. Posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement.
Advanced Tip: Trying to increase your brand awareness with positive females who love Instagram plus enjoy reading lifestyle + inspirational content? Use these hashtags they are some of my favorites: #intentionalliving, #stayinspired, #lifelivedbeautifully, or #gritandvirtue.
3. Start engaging. If I post it, they will come is the slowest way to build your following. Develop a daily routine of interacting with your following. People like to talk to people. Whenever someone comments under your picture like their comment and respond. The more comments you have under your posts, tells the Instagram algorithm your post should be viewed by a larger audience because it’s engaging.
Advanced Tip: If there are individuals who ALWAYS like and comment when you post return the favor by following them and liking their posts.
4. Start moving followers off social media. Like it’s good to diversify your income and not be reliant on one stream of income, take this same mentality with Instagram. The reality is there will always be changes with algorithms. Start diversifying your traffic now and reap the benefits now. Don’t allow Instagram to be the only tool to grow your brand.
Advanced Tip: Do you have a website? If you answered no, it’s time to get a website and/or blog. If you answered yes, it’s time for you to start thinking about posting frequently on your blog or incorporating a monthly newsletter.
5. Switch to Instagram business profiles. This will give you access to real-time insights of your followers such as: gender, age range, locations, times they are using Instagram for best posting times. You will also get a breakdown on your top posts from the last 7 days and analytics from your stories of the last 14 days.
6. Try social media ads. Unfortunately, using unpaid strategies will only take you so far. If you are serious about increasing your reach on Instagram, seriously consider promoting your post. Depending on your business, this will help drive traffic to your website and convert to sales, new clients, new subscribers, and/or readers.
Advanced Tip: Want to try social media ads? Switch to Instagram Business tools first.
What are your thoughts about the Instagram algorithm?